Friday, May 21, 2010

Sometimes Being a Mom ... is Very Sweet!

On Tuesday, my son Daniel went to his very first swim team practice and really had a rough time. My heart broke as I watched him struggle, knowing I could not do anything to make that particular challenge easier.

Well, fast forward to Wednesday afternoon. The boys were to go to their second swim practice. After Tuesday night's "trial" I asked one of the coaches if Daniel could give it another shot and maybe swim with the slightly younger kids. She agreed to give it a try ... that is if Daniel was willing to give it a try.

I talked to Daniel and explained that I think he ought to give it another shot and swim with a different group that didn't have to swim all the way across the pool, but half way across the pool. I could see the wheels turning in Daniel's head as he was sizing up the situation.

Time came for practice to start and I was encouraged to see Daniel collect with the other kids to swim. Of course, this whole time I am praying that he has a much better experience in the pool. Next thing I know, Daniel jumps in and starts swimming out to his coach. Tears came to my eyes as I watched Daniel tackle his fears. To everyone else at the pool, Daniel looked like just another kid swimming, but I knew he was slaying his personal "Goliath."

But then I saw an even more precious sight. Andrew saw Daniel swimming and went over to the edge of the pool. He leaned over and was shouting, "Go Daniel! You're doing great! You can do it." It was absolutely heartwarming as I watched Andrew spurring his brother along. Talk about tears, mine were flowing full force now! No matter, this was a gift worth every tear!

I am a blessed woman to have been entrusted to raise these kiddos! It's moments like this that make all the other "stuff" worth going through!




1 comment:

  1. Daniel.......
    You really look fast in that picture. I am so proud of how hard you are trying. Keep up the good work and we will get up to see you swim real soon...Love, Grandmom and Grandpop

    ReplyDelete